Wednesday, 6 September 2017

Books: Farenheit 451

As mentioned in my previous post I recently read Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (as recommended by my brother!) which I was surprised to find I really enjoyed. There are some really interesting themes within the book. In brief, the book (written in 1953) based in the future, focuses on a man who worked as a firefighter. However his job was not as you might think, instead he was tasked with the job of burning all of the books in the city. It is based in a world where books as seen as evil and dangerous and must all be destroyed. Interestingly, it really highlights the idea of ignorance and the loss of intellectual freedom. It also predicted a lot of key things in our lives - headphones, large televisions, reality tv, and although we're not quite at the point of having no books, we're starting to use them less and have other alternatives such as phones or reading on kindles. I would definitely recommend it as a good and intriguing read!


No comments:

Post a Comment